Friday, May 31, 2019

Somerset Levels : Visit 2

Having enjoyed my first visit last Sunday I decided to make another visit to RSPB Ham Wall hoping to connect with a Bittern on this occasion and was not to be disappointed.
I followed the same format as my previous visit ending up at the Avalon Hide which was 'fit to bursting' but eventually thinned out enabling me to get a good position at one of the windows.
A Bittern showed briefly at the edge of the reedbed and a few flybys gave me the opportunity of some flight shots...…..













There was a family party of Great Crested Grebes present with the male working hard to feed the 'humbug' youngsters whilst mum guarded them from predators such as passing crows and gulls who fancied their chances...….





















A few Hobbys were present on both my visits but were flying above the hide and impossible to get on to.
I had a fabulous week in the West Country and will certainly have to make another visit before the end of the summer.

No comments: