Sunday, June 09, 2019

'Fantastic morning down West'........

My original plan this morning was to visit the small nature reserve served by a very nice boardwalk in Jersey Marine village but just as I was leaving home a message on the WhatsApp group advised of a breeding plumage female Red-necked Phalarope and an adult Roseate Tern at WWT Penclacwydd, Llanelli, there was of course only one place to head to.
Both birds were on the new Dafen Scrape at the rear of the British Steel Hide, the phalarope showed well although a little distantly but the tern was hidden behind the gulls and shellducks on one of the small shingle islands, only record shots therefore of the phalarope.....















It was good to meet some old birding friends in the hide, Wendell Thomas, Gary Harper, Robbie Taylor, Rob Hunt, Barry and Sandra Stewart, Simon and Peter Murray and Rob Jones.
The group split up and visited other hides in the hope of relocating the tern and after a short while a message from Rob Jones confirmed that he had refound the tern in front of the Observatory Hide, a quick dash soon had me on the bird which was showing superbly on a small island with several gulls...…..



















I decided that I wasn't going to get any better photos and just as I packed away my gear the tern took flight as a result of being harassed by the gulls although I understand that it did return to other parts of the reserve.
What a fabulous morning, two great birds and some fabulous company.

No comments: