Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Teifi Marshes - Cardigan : 19th March 2024

I made a return visit to Teifi Marshes yesterday 19th March hoping to see and photograph the Jack Snipe again but had no luck at the Mallard Hide.

It was nice to bump into Ken Filkins again and also old friend Lyndon Lomax from St Davids who I had not seen since a boat trip out of Newquay last summer.

It was also nice to meet Pembrokeshire County Recorder Jon Green for the first time who was also visiting.

I visited the four regular hides I frequent and from the Curlew Hide overlooking the River Teifi I got some photos of a passage summer plumage Black-tailed Godwit which looked simply stunning with it's chestnut neck and breast.

At the Mallard Hide the Jack Snipe failed to show but on the pool was a 1stW Pochard which is something of a scarcity for Ceredigion.

At the Creek Hide a Curlew showed with a few Teal and a Common Kingfisher put in a brief but distant appearance.

I finished my visit at the Kingfisher Hide where a male Common Kingfisher visited but kept it's distance and a confiding Little Egret hunted in the shallows of the pool.

Before I left I asked Lyndon if he knew if the recent Green-winged Teal that had been present on the River Severn was still present but he was unsure. He did however say that he would check on his way back to St Davids and let me know.

He phoned a little later to tell me that that the bird was still present with Eurasian Teal and gave me an approximate location.

Here are a few images from my visit to Teifi Marshes.......





















No comments: