Tuesday, April 03, 2018

'Finch Fest' : Fforest Ganol, Cardiff - The Return

Having worked Good Friday it was nice to have today off work instead, I planned a return visit to Fforest Ganol in the hope of getting a little closer to the target birds of Hawfinch and Brambling.
A few attempts have been made using hides or cammo but the birds are very wary and tend not to come down to the feeding area, a protocol of viewing and photographing from the car has therefore evolved.
Anyway, I thought I'd give it a go using my bag hide and a 4.30am alarm had me at the site an hour later setting up under the cover of darkness.
As first light broke and the light continued to improve the birds were slow to come down and over the course of three hours only two female Hawfinch and half a dozen Brambling came to feed, I managed a few shots but the early morning light meant a high ISO.
I dispensed with the hide at about 9.00am and low and behold within a couple of minutes of me returning to the comfort of my car a dozen or so Hawfinches came down to feed bringing about 15 Brambling with them.
They continued to feed on and off and as the light improved with a glimmer of sunshine I managed to get some more shots from the car that given the distance I was quite pleased with......














































A few of our resident feathered and furry friends as a supporting cast.......

















1 comment: