Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Cattle Egrets : WWT Penclacwydd, Llanelli - 4th August 2023

Following my visit to Pembrey Old Harbour for terns I made my way on to Kidwelly Quay where only a very distant Osprey out on Tywyn Burrows was of interest, this I managed to see through another birder's 'scope.

It was nice to bump into Gary Harper the Carmarthenshire County Recorder who I've known for some years and who phoned me whilst on my way home and still west of Llanelli.

Gary advised that a flock of 11 Cattle Egrets had just flown into WWT Penclacwydd if I wished to do a detour.

I duly turned off to visit 'Penclac' and upon arrival at The British Steel Hide was greeted by Mike 'Trim' Evans who had phoned Gary with the news.

The birds were associating with grazing cattle on the Dafen Scrapes to the rear of the hide and eventually moved a little closer enabling me to get some reasonable shots.

After a recount Mike and myself agreed that there were in fact 12 Cattle Egrets present, no longer a rarity as they were but still nice to see........















No comments: