Friday, September 09, 2022

Something different, a morning with the Teifi Ringing Group

 Last week after a few invites which had fallen through due to the weather I met up with Wendy James and trainee ringer Brennig Huws of the Teifi Ringing Group at Teifi Marshes on Sat 3rd September in order to observe and take some 'bird in the hand' photos.

It's an experience that I have enjoyed a few times previously although some years ago when we had a caravan at Llangors Lake, Brecon, joining Gerry Lewis and County Recorder Andy King at their sessions in the lake reed bed.

Controls included Chiffchaff, Bullfinch, Blue Tit, Sedge Warbler, Blackcap (M+F) and Goldcrest, nothing exotic but very nice all the same. Wendy advised me that we were just a little too late in the season for a hoped for Aquatic Warbler although it wasn't for want of trying with a tape lure.

We also tried for Wryneck but to no avail.

It was fascinating to observe the recording and ringing process and Wendy's experience and knowledge is astounding.

Wendy and Brennig set up the mist nets at 06.30 and I arrived at 07.00, the next couple of hours flew by and we finally wrapped up proceedings at 09.30, a thoroughly enjoyable two and a half hours.

I find it amazing how tiny some of our passerines are in the hand weighing only a few grams and the fact that some of them migrate such vast distances is mind boggling !!

I'm looking forward to repeating the experience soon, perhaps some 'lamping' of waders or Woodcock, I just wish I knew a local qualified ringer who would invite me along when I'm home !!

Here are a few images from the morning.....













No comments: