Friday, September 09, 2022

A long awaited return to Llys-Y-Fran Reservoir

 It's been a while since I visited Llys-Y-Fran Reservoir/Country Park, February 2007 to be exact when I 'twitched' Wales' first Pacific Diver with Kevin Hughes the day after it was found and the ID confirmed.

We were in Kidwelly from memory searching for a Rose-coloured Starling when the news of ID confirmation came through.

Anyway, back to 2022 with some nice waders being reported from there feeding on the exposed mud at the far end of the reservoir.

So last Monday 5th September I made the 45 min journey from the caravan turning up there early afternoon, after speaking to a very helpful ranger I was advised that the birds that I was interested in were seen the previous day at the far end of the reservoir.

This was a 1.75 mile walk which took me about 30mins and I soon found 3 juvenile Curlew Sandpipers and 2 juvenile Dunlin near the bank, I was able to get within 10m of these birds which were very confiding and get some nice photos.

There was however no sign of the Little Stint which had been reported the previous day which I was hoping to see and photograph.

Another birder joined me who introduced himself as Huw Lewis from Haverfordwest and using his 'scope he was able to pick up the Little Stint accompanied by a Ruff and 3 Curlew Sandpipers about 70m away from us feeding on the mud, I would never have picked them up in my bins, nice one Huw !

I quickly changed my 1.4x extender for my 2x and although distant managed to get some half decent 'record shots' of the waders, I didn't think of changing my in camera setting from 'full frame' to 1.6x 'crop factor' which would have given me a focal length of 1600mm although the reduction in pixels would probably not have produced any sharper images.

The sky started to darken and on checking my Rain Today app on my phone I could see that heavy was was due to start in 10 mins so made my way quickly to the bird hide which was only a few minute's walk.

Huw on the other hand made his way back to his car which was parked at the far end of the reservoir, whether or not he got a soaking I don't know.

I sat it out in the hide for 30mins, the heavy downpour finally subsided and I made my way back to the car park.

Due to the national shortage of rain the reservoir looks to be 2.5-3m below it's usual level and at the top end a huge area of mud is exposed, as it's probably not been exposed for many years I would guess that it is full of nutrients and food so will be worth keeping an eye on in September and October.

It would not surprise me if a rare American sandpiper turned up there, I'll keep checking the sightings pages.........













No comments: