Monday, December 31, 2018

'A successful day out'........

With early news that Martin Bell had refound the Great Grey Shrike in the clear fell at Cwm Cadlan A phone call to fellow birder and 'togger' Steve Wilce who lives near Brecon had us meeting up at noon.
The bird was originally found by Colin Stephenson a week ago but has proved elusive mainly due to the horrible damp, murky weather which has put people off searching and hindered those who had made the effort.
I arrived about 11.50am and immediately found the bird perched up in the fell to the south of the road, the car that was parked up when I arrived belonged to Mike Hogan who joined me, unfortunately the bird flew and as shrikes do disappeared for a while.
Steve arrived and we were soon joined by Alan Rosney, we found the bird again this time to the north side of the road, it was however very wary and highly mobile and try as we may Steve and myself could only get close enough for 'record' shots.
Although it stayed dry the light was again abysmal, so it was very much a case of doing our best and being satisfied with what we could get.........






























At just after 1.00pm news came through of four Cattle Egrets in Porthcawl so after 'filling our boots' with the shrike I said my goodbyes to Steve and headed for Porthcawl hoping that I would beat the light and get some photos.
I knew the location and arrived at about just before three o'clock, there was another 'togger' there that I didn't know and we were soon joined by Colin Baker, the birds were showing well in a field with several horses and two separate locals told us that they had been there since just before Christmas.
I again 'filled my boots' using a high ISO until the light started to go and made my way home.
All in all a nice half day out and some pics of two cracking species.



























1 comment:

John Huron said...

Thiis was great to read