Thursday, November 23, 2023

Waders + Gulls - Aberavon Beach : 21st November 2023

Last Tuesday afternoon myself and my dog Timmy paid a visit to Aberavon Beach with the intention of walking the length of the beach as far as the River Neath in search of a Snow Bunting which I have seen on the sands in previous years.

We started by having a stroll up the River Alan from the beach hoping for a Great Northern Diver which I have also seen in previous years.

A couple of Great Crested Grebes almost fooled me but there was no sign anywhere of a diver.

We then walked the length of 'Jackstones' Pier hoping to catch up with my first Purple Sandpiper of the winter but the pier was occupied by several fishermen fishing the incoming tide which was probably enough to put them off showing.

There were though some Ruddy Turnstoes and a couple of Rock Pipits present which obliged for some photos.

I had no luck finding a Snow Bunting along the beach but there were c150 Sanderling, c70 Oystercatchers, a few Curlew and a large gull roost present allowing me to get a few more photos......
















No comments: