Monday, October 31, 2022

Red-backed Shrike : Kenfig NNR

Towards the end of our holiday in Turkey I noted on BirdGuides that a juvenile Red-backed Shrike had been found in the dunes at KNNR and was showing really well.

As I've only seen two previously in the UK I hoped that it would stay until I got home so that I could get some nice photographs of it, the previous bird near Royal Porthcawl Golf Club about 4 years ago also a juvenile was always too distant to obtain quality photos.

The weather was against me upon our return and I had to wait until Thurs 20th to make a visit, I checked with fellow birder/togger Mike Pugh prior to setting off for location and directions and these were spot on.

Upon arrival there was one togger looking for the bird which was Mike Clark, not the friendliest of chaps but we were soon joined by a friendly face that I knew in Owen Erasmus before Rhos Williams turned up.


Rhos was heading for Sker and soon returned after leaving us advising that the bird had relocated a little further south and we all got on it quickly.

I got some distant 'record' shots before the bird started to show beautifully which allowed a closer approach, at that time we were also joined by Alun Davies and Richard Founds both names that I am familiar with from our South Wales Birding Facebook group of which I am one of the admin.

Mike Pugh also turned up and although the sky was grey with thick cloud resulting in poor light I got some images that I was fairly pleased with.



No comments: