Saturday, July 25, 2020

Grey Phalarope : Sker Pool, Porthcawl

After a day in the garden on Friday 29th May 2020 I checked my phone to find that a Grey Phalarope in near summer plumage had been found on Sker Pool near Porthcawl.
I still had plenty of light and made a quick dash for the car park south of Kenfig NNR but had to park in a side street as it was closed.
A brisk walk through Pyle and Kenfig golf course past Sker House soon had me on the bird which I had all to myself for half an hour before young Tom Wright turned up, we were joined by Dean Bolt who had dashed from work and whilst socially distancing we watched the bird weaving and bobbing in typical phalarope fashion.
The pool is small so getting some nice images was quite easy, it's the second Grey Phalarope that I've seen on the pool but the first of several I've seen over the years that hasn't been in winter plummage......

















I'm so glad that I made the effort to see the bird as it then proceeded to move on overnight and wasn't to be seen the following day.

No comments: