Sunday, December 11, 2016

Desert Wheatear : Thurlestone, Devon

I've just returned from a fabulous weekend away in Plymouth with Teresa to celebrate her 60th birthday.
As a massive fan of folk rockers Lindisfarne since the early seventies we took in their concert at The Wharf in Tavistock on Friday evening (showing my age now !!) and it was the first time in over 20 years that I had been to see them play live, they haven't lost their touch and were absolutely superb playing all the old favourites.
Teresa enjoyed a day's shopping in Plymouth on Saturday and we finished off the weekend with me twitching the Desert Wheatear at Thurlestone about twenty odd miles east of Plymouth on the way home.
We arrived at the car park at around mid-day and after asking a couple of people a few questions two girl walkers informed me that there were a couple of birders on the smaller of the beaches west of the car park.
Approaching the beach I could see one 'togger' on the bird which was chasing off a nice male Black Redstart which was intruding on it's patch, now there's a sight that you don't see everyday.
I joined the 'togger' and the bird made it's way back to us settling near the upturned boat on the sand which allowed me to get some images that I was really pleased with.........




























I filled my boots with the Desert Wheatear and had a search for the Black Redstart but to no avail and with Teresa waiting in the car for me decided to call it a day.
This was only my second Desert Wheatear in the UK following my first almost three years to the day on 11.December 2013 at Severn Beach near Bristol, what a cracking bird and a great photographic opportunity, one happy 'togger' !!