Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Marmora's Warbler,Blorenge

With a week off for Whitsun and stonking weather what better time could there be for a real "mega" to turn up in South Wales and less than and hour's drive away.
I'd seen Marmora's Warbler in the scrub in the Bocquer Valley in Puerto Pollensa on my last visit to Majorca in 2005 but like most birders had not seen one in this country
A text from Colin Gittins mid-way through Thurs 3rd June alerted me to the bird (nice one Col !!) and a round of texts saw myself and Wayne meet up at Asda's car park at Merthyr Tydfil early next morning,Kevin was working and Dan and the rest of the J-Js clan were touring North Wales.
We soon arrived at Blorenge and parked up in the Foxhunter's car park having been told that the bottom car park was full,it wasn't full which p....d us both off a little and we joined about 40 birders from far and wide scanning for the bird.
We had been told that the bird was showing well and it soon flew over our heads and crossed the road whilst doing a territorial circuit.
It sang really well at times and we enjoyed corking views although much to my disappointment it didn't show close enough to get a really good photograph.
I did manage a few but none that I was really pleased with.
We watched for about an hour and a half and with both of us having other committments to get home to we left at about 09.30 having first had a chuckle at Lee Evans and his bunch of disciples,"is that the best view you've had of a Marmora's Warbler Lee" and so on !!
It was Tunnocks all round as we got back to Wayne's car,yet another UK lifer "in the bag".
Just as we pulled into Asda to pick up my Jeep my mobile rang,it was Mr J-J himself having just picked up my text message from about 15 hours previous and sounding in a mild state of panic,he will go to these remote places where there's no mobile coverage.
To say that we "gripped him off" and took the p...s is something of an understatement,"I'm not back until Sunday evening-will it still be there ? !!"
Well it did stay and I'm pleased to report that both Dan and the young "Twitchmeister" did catch up with this fantastic bird late on Sunday afternoon,well done lads.
Hope it stays a little longer,I'd love to have another bash at getting a good photo.

No comments: