Monday, November 17, 2008

Sunday afternoon at B+Q

That's Beardie and Quacker folks as well as the DIY superstore !!
Ok,I didn't get the Bearded Tit but got stonking 'scope views of the Ferruginous Duck at Cosmeston C.P
A text from Dan on Saturday to let me know that a Fudgie had turned up at Cosmeston hatched "a cunning plan".Too much rugby on tele and weather too crap on Saturday to go birdin' so with Teresa wanting to go to B+Q on Sunday (some "cunning plan" of her own for me to redecorate the lounge) I politely suggested we go to B+Q at Culverhouse X instead of the more local one at Bridgend (bigger store,more choice-you know how it goes)in search of paint etc.
Sneaked the bins,camera and 'scope into the Jeep and next thing she was having a cuppa in the cafe at Cosie C.P whilst I toddled off down the boardwalk in search of the Fudgie,the Beardie was a little conspicuous by it's absence,not even a call.
There was another birder already on the duck (not literally !) when I arrived and shortly after I had set up Richard Smith turned up with his swanky new camera and "mega" lense.
The Fudgie was out in the open with the rest of the ducks and gave excellent views,the light was poor but I did manage to "digi-scope" a few record shots.
Richard and myself walked back to the car park togethor,still no sign of the Beardie as we gingerly dodged the dog crap on the board walk,why don't people clean up after their dogs especially in a place used by so many people !!
I persuaded Teresa that we really did need to call into Penarth Marina on the way back to have a look at the Slavonion Grebe that had turned up there during the week,so with Richard leading the way we headed off.
I'd spoken to both Tim and Wayne who had already been there and couldn't believe how close in the bird was.
They were right,I've never seen a Slav at such close quarters,it was too close to "digi-scope" and a bit too far away to get a good shot with only a 3x zoom compact camera,can't complain had great views of this wonderful small grebe.
Just as we were about to leave Alex Bevan turned up so after saying our goodbyes we left the "papparazzi" happily snapping away with their huge lenses (I'll bet they had some cracking shots !!)
Just to keep the other 'alf happy we had a quick look around B+Q,the fabric store and Marks+Sparks at Culverhouse before "piggin' out" at the Toby carvery in Bridgend for a late Sunday lunch.
A "cunning plan" well executed,a couple of cracking birds,my first Fudgie for several years and "loadsa brownie points" !!!

1 comment:

Tim Hall said...

Yup, got some similar pics!