Friday, July 18, 2008

50 Up!

After the rush of rarities in May it's back to normal here in Glamorgan - the word "quiet" doesn't do justification to the birding in the county at the moment.

Anyway, to sum up how dull it's been I've been celebrating today because of a Black-headed Gull. It was the 50th species I've seen in my home Atlas Tetrad (ST18K - Whitchurch / Rhiwbina - Cardiff). Highlights - and I use the term in its loosest possible definition - include: Red Kite, Peregrine, Common Sandpiper, Kingfisher and . . . uhm, Bullfinch? I'm disappointed I haven't picked up a Lesser Spot at Glamorgan Canal.

I've also reached 50 in another of my TTV tetrads (ST17D - near St Fagans). Highlights here (not much better): Dipper, Kingfisher, breeding Tawny Owls and . . .uhm, Stock Dove?

In my third TTV tetrad (ST17G - near Wenvoe) I've only reached 38 but there have been a slightly better selection of birds there: Spot Fly, Yellowhammer, Marsh Tit, Skylark and . . . uhm, Bullfinch again?

Meanwhile, latest BTO results for the 1st winter period of the Atlas show that a total of 78 species near the Ogmore Estuary is Glamorgan's highest winter tetrad total. Beats my winter total of 43 in ST18K!

By the way, I see from today's 'Bird of the Day' map on the BTO website that there is a Capercaillie in Derby! Not quite what I had in mind when I typed in 'Bird of the Day' in Google!!

No comments: