Saturday, February 24, 2007

Icy welcome for Dodgy Diver

Today, I finally succumbed to the temptation of the possible Pacific Diver in Pembrokeshire, and a brisk drive down was enlivened by 3 Red Kites near Whitland.
If I'd known how far the bird was from the car, I'd have taken my lunch with me! After a squelchy walk to the hide, I was soon looking at the bird. If it's a Black Throated, it's odd. If it's a Pacific, it's not as distinctive as the Yorkshire bird. On balance I think it is more likely to be Pacific, but I think it could well not be accepted, as there is some doubt.
On the way back to the car, I picked out an adult Iceland Gull (I'd only seen juvs before), very nice indeed!

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Put your erasers away!

Having read the recent Birding World article about this bird, its now looking that this is indeed a Pacific diver! Killian Mullarney is convinced anyway.

Weyhay!