Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Alpine Swift : Pwll Y Waun Pond, Porthcawl

After a hectic weekend in North Wales and early rises on both Saturday and Sunday my lay-in yesterday morning to recover was disturbed by my mobile 'pinging' to advise of an Alpine Swift at Pwll Y Waun Pond in Porthcawl found by Dean Bolt, yet another great find !!

It was reported flying over the pond, adjacent medical centre, houses and fields and after a swift breakfast (excuse the pun😂) I was soon joining a small gathering of birders and 'toggers' at the side of the pool, familiar faces included East Glam County Recorder Phil Bristow, Alun Hughes, Mike Pugh, Tate Lloyd and his girlfriend Holly, Dave Rich, Barry Stewart, Paul Parsons, Paul Tabor and Adrian Meredith.

Using my lightweight Canon RF 100-500mm IS zoom lens on my Canon EOS R5 for the last time before I change systems I managed a reasonable number of shots of the fast flying rather damp and bedraggled rarity although the constant heavy drizzle turned them into 'record shots' which was a little disappointing.

This was only my 2nd Alpine Swift in the UK the first being the bird at Eglwys Nunydd Reservoir in Port Talbot as far back as Spring 2004.

There appears to be a small influx of the species into the UK this last few days so hopefully there may yet be another opportunity to get some better photos although the weather will need to improve, we shall see...............









No comments: