Monday, May 08, 2017

Return to the woods and a trip to the beach..........

It's not that often that I get out with the camera on both a Saturday and Sunday but did so this past weekend and decided to make a return to the same oak wood that I had visited on Saturday in the hope of finding both Common Redstart and Pied Flycatcher.
I accessed the wood from the opposite end to that of my visit the day before and spent an hour and a half searching without success, plenty of more common woodland species around though including Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Garden Warbler, and I did hear another Wood Warbler in the vicinity.
I gave up my search and drove to the other end of the wood wondering whether or not the Wood Warbler would still be in the same place as I had photographed it on Saturday, true to form it was still there, same territory, same trees and same favourite perch, I just couldn't resist a few more shots.......
























I then decided to head for Kenfig NNR for a walk down to Sker in the hope of getting some photos of Whimbrel and any other passage waders feeding on the rocks.
I accidentally flushed a group of seven Whimbrel feeding on the grass as I approached Sker Pool and there were at least twenty on the shoreline in company with Dunlin and some Black-tailed Godwits one of which was in fantastic breeding plumage, the light was totally against me and I only bothered with a couple of 'record' shots.........










I gave up on the waders and called in at Sker House on the way back, it took me a while to find a Little Owl until I picked one out playing 'peek a boo' in a shrub on the stone wall of the old ruined barn........












There were lots of Common Whitethroats and Stonechats to be seen on my return walk and a few of the later posed quite nicely for me although the light was a little too harsh........



















Well, that's got Wood Warbler sorted for this year, target species for next weekend is Common Redstart and Pied Flycatcher, bring it on !!

No comments: