Sunday, May 07, 2017

A walk in the woods......

One of my favourite birds is Wood Warbler which for me is an iconic spring bird of our western oak woods, sadly in the Llynfi Valley where I live it has declined markedly and I've only had two birds in the last 5-6 years.
Following a tip off from Dan following a BBS survey I visited an oak wood yesterday morning only 20 minutes or so drive from my home and having parked only 100m from the entrance I could hear a Wood Warbler singing.
The bird was only about 60m from the entrance stile to the wood and I quickly picked it up as it flitted around the canopy perching occasionally on an old rotten tree which allowed me to get some nice shots.........




















I was also hoping to catch up with Pied Flycatcher and Common Redstart but had no luck, I did however luck into a pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers feeding their young at their nest hole in an oak and watched then for 10 minutes getting some nice shots........


























I walked back to the entrance to the wood and whilst passing the Wood Warbler again couldn't resist a few more shots.......
























I moved on deciding to check out the nesting pair of Dippers that I had found last weekend on the River Ogmore at Aberkenfig hoping that I may see the parent birds feeding their young out of the nest but it looked as if the young had left the nest earlier in the week although one of the adults was still around.......


















I decided to finish the day checking out a couple of my local Grasshopper Warbler territories and got lucky when one eventually showed out in the open allowing me the briefest of  opportunities........




An enjoyable day catching up with my 'target' bird which gave me a great photographic opportunity.

No comments: