Monday, May 01, 2017

Dotterel delight......

A last minute decision to visit Garreg Lwyd above Brynamman early this morning paid dividends with a 'trip' of seven Dotterel found on the summit.
I'd bargained that the overnight rain may force a few birds down on to this traditional passage site and so set off from home just after 8.00am, with very little traffic on the roads I made it to the car park below the mountain at 8.50am.
I'd forgotten how murderous the climb is which took me a full 45 minutes and as I arrived at the summit I spooked a 'trip' of seven birds which flew around to the south-west side.
It had been raining lightly since leaving home and after a brief search for the birds the weather worsened and I took shelter in the lea of the stone cairn near the trig point.


I was having more luck with Wheatears as I searched for the Dotterel and managed a few shots of a male and a female.



The Dotterel were proving difficult and I did a full circular walk of the summit and after a full two and a quarter hours since arrival I saw a little head above the grass as I scanned, at last I had found them and although I couldn't get as close as I would have liked as the group was quite flighty I came away with some shots that I was quite pleased with..............................................................................









Surprising what you can see through a 500mm lens from the top of a mountain..............................


I've visited Garreg Lwyd several times over the years with varying results, a 'trip' of 15 birds has been the best and sometimes only a couple of birds, other times nothing at all !!  Today's trek was certainly worth it, oh and by the way I also saw two Golden Plovers on the way down.                                          

No comments: