Sunday, January 14, 2018

Great Northern Diver : Barry Docks

This morning I thought I'd make a visit to Nelson Wern in the hope of catching up with and photographing a Willow Tit.
The site has historically been one of the more reliable places to see this declining species and although I've had success in the past and some nice photographs I had no luck during a visit last winter or on this occasion.
I put some food down at one of their favoured spots and almost instantly had feeding Robins, Blackbirds, Dunnock, Nuthatch and Blue, Great, Coal and Long-Tailed Tits but not the species I was hoping to see.
I think I'll give it a couple of months and make a Spring visit when if there are any birds left there they'll be more active.
After an hour and a half or so I moved on intending to visit Barry Docks hoping to connect with the two Great Northern Divers and Slavonian Grebe found recently.
I called into Fforest Farm on the way and bumped into Cliff Woodhead and Colin Harvey and managed to get a couple of snaps of a female Kingfisher as she posed momentarily on the most photogenic of the perches........










After an hour in the 'first' hide at Fforest Farm I headed for Barry Docks and immediately found one of the GN Divers opposite Morrisons supermarket and although the light was harsh and completely from the wrong direction I managed a few shots that I was reasonably pleased with........


























I thought of calling in at Flemingston for the Whooper Swan on my way home but as the cold set into my old bones I decided that the Premier League match between Liverpool and Man City held more appeal and called it a day.

No comments: