Sunday, June 11, 2017

Rose-coloured Starling : Gowerton

I was rather intrigued at the lack of reports of the adult Rose-coloured Starling that had been reported coming to feeders in a garden of a property adjacent Cedar Close in Gowerton and having spoken to a few local birders who couldn't confirm any positive news I decided to head west and check out the bird for myself late morning today.
Arriving at the close I bumped into Alan Blackley from Newport who reported that the bird was feeding in the garden of a property adjacent the rear of 16, Cedar Close and was coming up on to the fence between the properties and showing well, what a stroke of luck !!
Alan accompanied myself to the property and the young couple who owned the bungalow kindly granted us access and I managed to get a few nice shots of the stunning adult bird.....













The bird disappeared for a while and then reappeared in a large oak adjacent the garden.....






I decided to leave but first thought that I'd stroll down the main road to try and find the garden that the bird was feeding in, at the bottom of the drive the owner spotted me and without hesitation invited me into the garden, showed me the feeders and allowed me the freedom of the garden, the bird returned to feed a couple more times and I managed a few more shots.........
























I've seen a few Rosy Starlings previously but never had such great views, one happy 'togger' !!

No comments: