Saturday, September 23, 2006

Three in a Row

While I can't compete with Wayne's exploits at Slimbridge I had a surprisingly good day out within the confines of good ol' Eastern Glamorgan today. Having received my 'afternoon pass' for good behaviour I was humming and ha-ing whether I should go to Lavernock Point (easterly winds + chance of Yellow Wag) when up popped the news on the GBC site that there were two Little Stints at Kenfig Pool. Half an hour later I was at the edge of the pool looking at . . . . a Black Tern. A nice bit of deja vu after yesterday's success in finding 2 Black Terns at Eglwys Nunydd but, more importantly, this species was now well and truly on my Eastern Glamorgan Year List. Normally I would have given the Black Tern a bit more attention but I was still anxious to find the Little Stints. No sooner said than done - there they were a little way ahead of me. Feeling a bit guilty that I'd neglected the Black Tern I went back and enjoyed watching it for another five minutes. For some reason I decided to move on to Porthcawl to walk from Pink Bay to Sker. It was a long slog in very windy conditions, with too many people around and no birds. I remember now why I went there - there'd been reports of Knot on Kenfig Beach lately, and Sker Point can be good for Yellow Wags at this time of the year (you've probably twigged that I'm getting a bit obsessed with getting Yellow Wag on my Glam list this year) - unfortunately, neither were present. Back at the car I decided to pack it in for the day and head for home. But why not call in at Wig Fach for the 43rd time this year to look for R-L Partridge? Why not? Well, even though I could think of a least a dozen reasons why not, I pulled in at the bus stop opposite the turn off for Wig Fach and scanned the dirt field. Incredibly, there in front of me were 7 of the little blighters - not only a Glam Year List tick but a Glam lifer! After arriving home I immediately logged on to put my sightings on the GBC website. But, before I'd typed a word I was off out of the house again and on my way to Lisvane Reservoir. PB had had two Black Terns and a Common Tern there that morning. By now I wasn't too fussed about Black Terns (only joking - they're lovely birds) but I need the Common Tern for my Glam Year List. Dragging Gethin along with me ("You can only go if you take Gethin with you") I was in luck again. The two Black Terns and a juv Common Tern were still there. Three Glamorgan Year List ticks in a day and a bonus Eastern Glamorgan tick too. Who needs to watch the Ryder Cup for excitement? These birds bring my year list totals up to the following: Year List = 192 :-( Glamorgan = 163 Eastern Glamorgan = 157 Anyone know where I can find a Yellow Wag?!

1 comment:

Tim Hall said...

Lots with bluey grey heads in Spain....