Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Little Crake - Bosherston Lily Ponds, Pembs : Sunday 13th October 2024

It has always irked me that I didn't 'twitch' the Little Crake that turned up in October 2005 at WWT Slimbridge, from memory Wayne made the journey, can't think why I didn't go, maybe I was on holiday at the time ?!!

I don't think I fully appreciated at that time how rare they are and how difficult they are to see.

I was therefore more than pleased that a 'twitchable' bird had turned up at Bosherston Lily Ponds in Pembrokeshire a couple of days from the end of our holiday.

It was still present after we had returned home and so on Sunday 13th October myself, good friend and fellow 'togger' Dave Gilbert and his grandson Jenson met up at my house early morning and we proceeded to have a clear run to the bird's location.

Unfortunately for us the bird which had been showing well in front of the Grassy Bridge had by the time we arrived flown across to the far side of the pools.

Friend and top birder Arfon Williams was also present and he kindly let us view the bird through his 'top end' Swarovski 'scope, what brilliant views.

It proceeded to make it's way along the shoreline feeding as it went and occasionally walked across the lily pads.

We had to be satisfied with distant 'record' shots of the stunning juvenile bird which whilst we were present showed no sign of returning to it's favoured spot which would have allowed really close views and 'frame filling' shots.

As the temperature dropped we decided to leave at 4.00pm and after a 20 minute drive news broke on BirdGuides that the crake had returned to it's favoured spot and was giving 'blinding' views from the Grassy Bridge.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some, at least now I can tick the bird off the list !!













No comments: