Monday, July 25, 2022

Rose-coloured Starling, Llangwyryfon, Ceredigion

A Rosy Starling had been been visiting the garden of birders Sheila and John Geddings in the small hamlet of Llangwyryfon, north-east of Aberaeron for around 10 days and the 15th July was my first chance of visiting to view and attempt to photograph the bird whilst we were visiting our caravan.

There has been a recent influx into the UK of the species with birds seen in Carmarthen and locally in Bridgend.

I had previously met Sheila at Teifi Marshes but had not connected the name and face until I visited and we met again.

I Facebook messaged Sheila on the afternoon of 14th July and she advised that she didn't think that the bird would show during a late pm/evening visit as it had tended to show more frequently during the mornings.

I therefore left a visit until the following morning and hoped that the bird would still be there, another message from Sheila confirmed that the bird was still present and showing really well.

I set off not too early and arrived mid-morning following an hour long drive thanks to Sheila's excellent information and my sat-nav.

The bird showed within a few minutes of me setting up on the property's patio adjacent the rear lawn and proceeded to come to food that John had been putting down regularly for the couple of hours that I spent there.

The bird would feed with the small flock of House Sparrows and then periodically fly up into the conifer boundary hedge and then come back down and feed again.

Although a little distant at about 35m I managed some images that I was quite pleased with and the distance gave me the opportunity to try out my recently purchased Canon EF 2x Mklll extender which performed admirably.

Sheila and John were lovely hosts and really nice to chat with, I even had a cup of tea which was very welcome.

Sheila delighted in showing me her new Sony RX-10 lV bridge camera with which I'm sure she will get some stunning photos.

This was my 7th Rose-coloured Starling over the years in the UK and hopefully not my last, the adult birds are really stunning to look at.

I was indeed very lucky to have visited on the 15th July as the bird was not reported thereafter and appears to have moved on, my big lens probably scared it off !!





















No comments: