Wednesday, February 17, 2016

"A day out around Cardiff".......

After a day watching the Six Nations rugby last Saturday I decided to devote the Sunday to a day around the Cardiff area hoping to catch up with some nice birds in good light for a change.
I've paid a couple of visits lately to Cosmeston Lakes CP in the hope of the Lesser Scaup putting in a close appearance for me but on previous occasions it has always been on the far side of the East lake, this was to be my first port of call and an early start before the place gets overrun with MOPs found me scanning the far side of the lake to find the bird once again very distant in company with the usual Tufties.
Plan B it was to be then as I headed for Swanbridge just down the road hoping to catch up with the male Black Redstart that has been seen around the car park area for a week or two.
On arrival I found Geri Thomas and Kevin Hughes in attendance and Geri quickly spotted the bird feeding on the ground on the edge of the car park.
It was quite elusive and mobile and after the lads had moved on I hung about hoping to get a few photos, the bird reappeared and perched up on the precast concrete sea defence structure enabling me to get a few "record" shots, it would disappear for periods and was always too distant to get anything meaningful..............


With Plan B still in operation I doubled back to Cosmeston but once again the Lesser Scaup was still in residence on the far side of the East lake.
I got talking to a birder/togger visiting from Wiltshire and the bird had disappeared, neither of us could pick it up in the bins, I suggested that it may have flown and for us to check the boardwalk area to our left adjacent the cafe.
Lo and behold the bird had reappeared not 20m from the edge of the boardwalk and we "filled our boots" before it and it's Tuftie mates drifted back out towards the middle of the water.........

Next stop and for the remainder of the day was RGW hoping for a "perched on a post" shot of a Short-eared Owl, unfortunately none of the Shorties obliged and I left a little disappointed on what will probably be my final visit this winter, let's hope they return next year as I with lots of others have really enjoyed my time with them for the last few months, here's a few final shots......


No comments: