Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Choughed!

A bright, sunny, but cold Wednesday morning without lessons saw me off in search of migrants. A quick trip to Cardiff Bay produced at least 3 Little Gulls, approx 100 Sand Martins, but not so much as a "ping" from the reedbeds, although they were reported later.

A bit later on, I scanned the puddle at the Watermill, and was pleasantly surprised to find 2 Little Ringed Plovers and a White Wagtail, amongst the Pieds.

Webmeister, please feel free to remove this LRP picture, cos I don't know how to....it's shocking!

Portobello was DULL, but a few minutes after leaving the main car park at Ogmore, a bird appeared out of the sky singing, and landed about 15 feet from me, a cracking Wheatear, and just what I'd hoped for. He was very active and sang repeatedly. I even managed a short video clip of the song.

Further along, whilst trying to photograph Linnets, another Wheatear appeared, and then soon afterwards, a Chough flew past low, and landed a short way away, feeding and calling for at least 15mins, with a female Wheatear in the same field of view at times.

The Chough walked towards me and was too close to digiscope at times. A short video clip of it calling was obtained.

Eventually I headed back to work, after another pleasant short outing.

No comments: